Our programme supports children to develop:
- understanding and ideas about how many, how much, how far and how big;
- understanding and ideas about patterns, the shape of objects and parts of objects, and the amount of space taken up by objects;
- understanding that numbers help us to answer questions about how many, how much, how far and how big;
- understanding and ideas about how to use counting to find out how many; and
- early ideas about the result of adding more or taking away from the amount we already have.
Children are given plenty of opportunities to develop their skills in counting from 1 to 20. They start to recognise written numbers and copy them; place numbers in order and talk about "more" or "less". Singing songs such as "Five little speckled frogs" and at Group Time is a fun way to reinforce the children's acquisition of numbers.